Friday, July 22, 2011

The next piece....

Today, I made a little blouse. It is sleeveless with home-made bias binding. But the most important thing is that this took me less than 2 hours to put together. The whole thing! Rarely, do I believe the advertisements that you see claiming a piece of clothing will only take an hour to make. Bah! More likely that piece of clothing will take 3 hours at least. In this case, there are 3 pattern pieces...two of them on the fold, and the third on the bias (and you can put it on the fold, if you have enough fabric). This is my own design (again). I've been experimenting with pleating, so you can see I tried it on the neckline (both front and back, although the back is only two pleats).

But the absolute best is where the fabric came from. I had in my mind that I wanted this color of blue for a blouse, but look as I might, the color just wasn't available (or at least not near me). I was already familiar with this color as I had three tablecloths this color that I used for decoration when doing antique shows years ago. So guess what? You guessed it, one tablecloth is now "missing in action". :-)

The only thing not done in this picture is the hem, and I'll do that while watching TV either tonight or tomorrow. Hems are simple and take very little time to finish. And the next time you see this blouse on here, it will be made from knit fabric, because I'm about to make another. :-)