Thursday, December 22, 2011

Some drawer dividers.

Usually, I get stuck doing stupid stuff for someone else. But this time, I wanted to see if I could avoid running to Walmart to buy plastic boxes (sans lids) to use in some drawers. I wanted something simple, but I didn't want them to just be cheap plastic. I wanted to cover them. Then I discovered cat food cases...not for the big cans for for the little ones, such as the ProPlan food I buy for my kitties.

I got this grand idea and decided to do a couple of "drafts" the same way I would if I were making something brand new for myself or someone else. I must say, it would have been easier (probably) to sew the covers, but instead I chose to use Elmer's Glue and some fabric I'd purchased sometime in the 1980's (well, maybe not THAT long ago, but a while ago) and see what I could come up with.

I started with just an ordinary cat food case (holds 24 3 ounce cans), 2 fabric pieces cut to follow the lines of the box (one for the inside and one for the outside), and a bottle of Elmer's (I could have used any glue as long as it would work on both cardboard and fabric. Elmer's was the only one I could find that I knew would bond both.




Viola! And they're already in use. Next time though, I'm going to work them up by sewing a cover, as the glue drove me crazy. But if you're going to try this, based on these pictures, make sure you do the inside first (center on bottom of box, glue bottom, flatten the fabric onto it, then carefully glue each side on both inside the box and the outside edge - the fabric will fold over). I'm not much on giving tutorials but at least that will get you started and the box will turn out halfways decent. And now, onto more Africa pictures! :-)