Thursday, December 22, 2011

Not quite Africa pictures yet....

I lied, I think you should see anal in action once again. I make no bones about being anal when it comes to designing things for my home.

A couple years ago, we chose an Italian porcelain tile for the kitchen. We decided to lay the tile in a stairstep pattern, but wanted something special there too. We decided on small 3 X 3 hand painted tiles to fit in the corners, and we also chose some solid color ones to alternate. Because these little tiles were hand painted, I had to cover each with three coats of a polyurethane meant for floors. And because they were hand painted each had to be coated with polyurethane by hand. What a production. But the floor was finally finished and we both loved it to death.

These are what the little tiles look like (there are five different patterns).


Now, being my normal anal self, I wanted to take those patterns and incorporate them into the rest of the kitchen. However, we hadn't decided on a back-splash, and had only put a new counter on the island, and not the actual kitchen counter yet. So, I didn't have the opportunity to "add" anything to the main countertop or the back-splash. But lest you think I couldn't come up with anything, there were still the fur-downs (the area between the tops of the cabinets and the ceiling). :-) So, I had John cut me little blocks of wood which I then painted to match the small tiles in the floor. I told you I was anal. I love having things tie together, but my version of "tie together" is obvious. I don't just do a color tie-in. I want the pattern there also. The first 3 pictures are of the painted wood blocks once I'd mounted them with Velcro (so I could remove and clean them). The last picture is of the island with the quartz, but it gives you a teensy glance at the floor in the background. I just now realized I don't have any pictures of the floor.